Monday, May 18, 2009
Assistive Adaptive Technology (AAT)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT2pJrArbWs
The important aspect of a revised lesson plan is modifying it so all students, including disabled students are successful participants. Multi-media or other assistive technology tools would be great in incorporating into the “modified” lesson plan. This way it reaches all types of learners (e.g. audio/visual learners). All students enjoy technology and this way all students are involved in learning.
Technology was not as available and promoted in previous lessons. The old way was using flash cards or other pictorials, which made it difficult for a person with a disability to be involved. Today, because we are at the cutting edge of technology, all sorts of assistive tools and technology are accessible.
I think the text-to-speech that we learned to use in ED451 is a great tool for AAT. This tool is easily accessible with the use of a computer (which every classroom should have) and can be integrated into multi-media lesson(s).
I would first evaluate the disabled student’s needs and capabilities. Then, I would create/design a revised activity that would be adjusted to what the student is able to do.
For one thing, under the “No Child Left Behind Act” all students are protected under this law. I think it’s the greatest legislation enacted protecting the disabled student(s). As a teacher, it is our responsibility to ensure learning takes place in the classroom for “all” students.
I think inclusion of disabled students in participating in lessons is a good thing. First and foremost, every classroom is filled with diverse students’ with diverse needs, as a teacher, it is our utmost responsibility to educate “all” students.
Criteria I would use in assessing would be: Can the student perform task? If not, what modifications do I need to make in order for the student to achieve task.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi:
ReplyDeleteVery thoughtfully written.
-j-